Vada pav…is a delicious snack with a bread sandwiched with potato filled vada . It is a famous snack in Maharashtra (India) by the name Mumbai Vada Pav. It is a snack but for most of the people it is a onetime meal.
Made with very basic ingredients…Vada pav is very easy to prepare. The pav is salty bread different from other bread as it is very light and small in size compare to other bread or pav. It is again easily available in the market. The only thing one has to prepare is the potato/aloo sabzi and the batter for the outer coating. The sabzi has different and common but some specific ingredients which makes the stuffing tasty.
For the sabzi
- Potato/Aloo – 500 gms
- Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves
- Ginger – 1”
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Finely chopped green chilli – 5 to 6
- Curry leaves – 8 to 10
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves – ¼ cup
For the batter
- Besan/chana dal flour – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Water – as required
- Baking soda – a pinch
Other than this we will require oil for frying the Vada.
Preparing the sabzi
- Boil the potatoes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes.
- In a mortar add garlic, ginger, coriander seeds and cumin/jeera. Make a rough paste with the pestle.
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Add curry leaves. Then add ginger garlic paste and green chilli.
- Cook for few a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Add chopped potatoes and mix.
- Add salt to taste and mix properly.
- Cover and cook for 2 mins.
- Add coriander leaves and mix it.
- Remove the sabzi in a plate and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Roll the sabzi into balls.
Preparing the batter
- In a bowl take besan.
- Make a paste with water. The paste should be little bit thicker in consistency.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and baking soda. Mix it properly.
Making the Vada
- Heat oil in a deep bottom kadhai.
- Deep the balls, made of sabzi into the batter and roll it so that the batter is evenly coated over the ball.
- Fry it till golden brown color on medium flame.
- Fry all the balls.
- Fry some slit green chilli. It is a good combination with the Vada Pav.
- Open the pav/bread from the center and place the Vada.
- Serve hot with fried green chilli.