Urad Dal Puri is the tasty ever recipe for breakfast i had. The Puri taste different due to adding urad dal, is crispy and soft to eat. The best thing I liked was the taste, it simply tastes like kachori. With less effort of making the filling I could eat kachori like puri. You can combine it with pickle, any sabzi , dahi or simply eat with tomato sauce…its just amazing recipe.
I usually use the leftover dal by mixing it with atta/whole wheat flour and make paratha or puri. Same way one day I made puris with leftover urad dal. I just reduced its quantity by cooking it and adding it to the flour with some masala I made the puris. It tasted so good that I decided to make it again using fresh uncooked dal and so here I got this wonderful recipe.
- Urad dal – ½ cup
- Refined flour/ maida – 2 cup
- Red chilli powder(kuti) – ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds/ saunf –1 ½ tsp
- Cumin/jeera – ½ tsp
- Ginger – ½ inch
- Green chilli – 2
- Oil – to fry
- Salt – to taste
- Wash the urad dal thoroughly.
- Soak the dal for 6 to 7 hrs or overnight if making in the morning.
- Drain the water. Grind the dal to a coarse paste along with green chilli and ginger.
- Take refined flour/maida in a bowl.
- Add salt and 2 tsp oil. Mix properly.
- Add the dal paste to the flour.
- Roast the fennel seeds and cumin/jeera and cool it.
- Make a coarse powder of fennel seed and cumin/jeera.
- Add this powder to the flour. Add red chilli powder.
- Knead to dough. Apply some oil.
- Cover and leave it for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins knead the dough for 5 mins. It will become soft.
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll into puris.
- Fry on medium flame till golden color.
- Serve hot.