Upma/Sooji upma is a delicious, flavorful savory dish specially prepared for breakfast. It is a very popular dish in India just as Poha. It is an old recipe and oftenly prepared in almost every kitchen.
The most important step to make a tasty upma is to roast the sooji properly. If the sooji is not properly roasted, after cooking also it will feel sticky while eating. You will be not able to chew the upma. Even while preparing Sooji ka Halwa, the taste entirely depends on how nicely the sooji is roasted in the ghee.
- Sooji – 1 cup
- Chopped onion – 1 medium
- Grated ginger – 1 tsp
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Chopped Green chilli – 4 to 5
- Curry leaves – 5 to 6
- Peas/peanuts – a fistful
- Moong dal – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander – to garnish
- Hot water – 2 cups
- Wash and soak the moong dal in warm water for half hour.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadhai. Add the sooji and roast it till light brown color. Keep the flame on low. This will take around 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the roasted sooji in a plate.
- In the same kadhai heat the remaining oil.
- Also on other side keep 2 cups of water for boiling.
- If you are using peanuts then add peanut to the oil and roast it for 1 minute on low flame.
- Add cumin, green chilli, curry leaves and soaked moong dal.
- Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and cook till golden color.
- Add peas (if using peas instead of peanut) and mix.
- Add the roasted sooji and sauté for a minute.
- Add the boiling water and cover with a lid immediately as the water is hot it will spatter out. Lower the flame.
- After a minute remove the lid and mix properly.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with lime pickle.