Bring some more taste in your meal by adding this sour, nutty and spicy Tomato Chutney. The sour taste of tomato, spicy taste of green chilli, the strong flavor of curry leaves and the nutty taste of peanuts blend altogether to give a nice flavorful chutney.
It is a very common and favorite dish made towards southern and western region of India. Prepared with very basic and simple ingredients this recipe is easy to cook by any one.
Tomato is available throughout the season, so this recipe can be prepared any time. It is a rich source of vitamin C. Along with the goodness of peanuts; this makes the chutney a healthy dish. Tomato is used in as one of the ingredient many recipes. In this recipe tomato is the main ingredient.
It is included in the meal as chutney, or eat it with plain paratha in place of tomato sauce or pickle or it can be even enjoyed with hot steam rice…my favorite…it’s simply yum!!!
- Tomato – 500gms
- Chopped garlic – 6 to 7 cloves
- Chopped Green chilli – 4 to 5
- Curry leaves – 8 to 10
- Roasted peanuts – ¼ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander – ¼ cup
- Chop the tomatoes roughly.
- Grind the roasted peanuts to a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Add chopped garlic, green chilli, jeera/cumin and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Cook the tomatoes for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and mix. Add salt to half the quantity of tomatoes, as after cooking the tomatoes will be reduce down to its previous quantity. Salt will be adjusted at the end.
- After some time the tomatoes will leave water.
- Cook on medium flame for 15 minutes with occasional stirring.
- When the water is reduced and the tomatoes are soft, lower the flame.
- Add the peanuts and mix.
- Add salt if required and mix.
- Garnish with chop coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.