Sweet & Spicy Pineapple is a recipe of pineapple slices cooked with sugar to get a nice caramelized taste of pineapple. Sugar increases the sweetness of the pineapple & the spicy gives a nice tingling taste.
While eating this pineapple slice, it gives a feeling like you are eating a candy. As soon as the slice is put into the mouth the sugar & spices starts melting releasing all the mix flavors of sweetness of pineapple and sugar…sourness of lemon…and spiciness of red chilli.
Pineapple is sweet, sour & tangy flavored fruit. It is good source of antioxidants, as it is packed with vitamin C, A, E, manganese. It is eaten as a fruit, used for making pineapple jam; also a famous recipe of cake is made from pineapple i.e. “Pineapple Upside Down cake”.
Many a times the pineapple is not sweet, try this recipe to enjoy pineapple in a different flavor. Sweet pineapple can also be used for this recipe. Both tastes the same only sugar quantity used will vary.
- Pineapple slices – of one whole pineapple
- Sugar – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Water – ½ to 1 tbsp.
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Remove the skin of the pineapple along with the eye.
- Slice the pineapple of equal thickness, about ½ cm.
- Heat a nonstick pan.
- Add 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of water.
- Let the sugar melts and boil for 2 minutes.
- When the sugar melts layer the pineapple slices over the sugar syrup.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Turn the side and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice.
- Cook further till the sugar is caramelized or thicken but should not become too thick and sticky.
- The pineapple should be soft.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder and salt over both the sides.
- Cook for a minute after adding the spices.
- Till now the pineapple should have shrink down.
- Take care that the pineapple slices should not become dry or burn towards the end as it will taste bitter.
- Remove from the flame and let it cool. Don’t hurry to eat as the sugar syrup will burn your tongue.