Red Gravy for curry is a different recipe from my previous post, Gravy for curry. This gravy is best for any vegetable. The whole condiments add up the taste of real spice. The whole red chilli gives a natural red color to the gravy and so the name of the recipe. A perfect gravy for non-veg lovers.
- Onion – 1 large
- Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves
- Ginger – 1 “
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Whole red chilli – 7 to 8
- Grated dry coconut – ¼ cup
- Slice the onion. Roast the onion in a pan with ½ tsp of oil till golden color.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, grated dry coconut and cumin/jeera.
- Roast whole red chilli. Take care they are just slightly roasted. It should not become black. If the red chilli becomes black, the after taste of the gravy becomes bitter. So just roast for few seconds. Now I have used two types of whole red chilli one that gives a spicy taste and the color to the gravy. The other gives thickness and color both to the gravy. The red chilli is called “Reshampatti” in Marathi. It is just perfect for any gravy. It gives a good thickness to the gravy. It is somewhat short and broad conical in shape. It is less spicy. “Byadagi” mirch is the other red chilli. It gives the color and spice both. Use in the required combination of both the red chilli according to the spiciness required. If these red chillis are not available use the whole Kashmiri red chilli. It too gives an excellent color and the required amount of spice to the gravy.
- Now grind all the ingredients to a paste. The color of the paste will show what the color of the gravy will be.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadhai. Add the paste. Add ½ tsp of salt. Cook the gravy till it leaves oil. Stir occasionally.
- Add the cook vegetables of your choice and cook for 5 mins.
- Add water for the required consistency and add salt. Let it boil on slow flame.