Often we have leftover food like rice, dal, roti and vegetables. We eat the same the other day or give it to the maid. If we want to eat it, why not simply change its taste and enjoy the food instead of eating the same.
The dals can be mix with atta/whole wheat flour and some seasonings. Knead to dough and make parathas. No one will be able to know that it is made from leftover dal. The vegetables can be smashed and same way make yummy parathas like dal.
From rotis you can try namkeen roti churma or make vegetable rolls with cooked vegetables stuffing. With rice we can make the simplest jeera rice or add some vegetables to make rice pulao or the all time favorite Chinese food…fried rice. One recipe that I often make from leftover rice is Masala Rice…simple and delicious.
- Cooked (leftover) Rice – 1 cup
- Chopped onion – 1
- Chopped green chilli – 1 or 2
- Peanuts – ¼ cup
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6 to 8 leaves
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – ½ to 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Oil – ½ tbsp
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Add peanut and cook for 1 min.
- Add cumin/jeera, mustard seeds, green chilli and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion and cook till onion turns golden color.
- Add turmeric powder& red chilli powder. Mix properly.
- Add rice and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients properly.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.