Breakfast is the first meal of the day which has to be Healthy and tasty. Chilla or Besan Dosa is one of the perfect dish for breakfast. It is prepared with besan (chana/Bengal dal flour), which provides protein and the spices added gives the taste. It can be eaten with any sabzi or tastes best with pickle or tomato sauce.
Alone besan will make the chilla/dosa too soft to eat; a dosa has to be little bit crispy also. Sooji does this magic wonderfully. Sooji not only make the chilla crispy but also ease the process of spreading the chilla perfectly without breaking.
Some like to add onion, green chilli, chopped coriander & tomato, it gives a nice taste. Plain chilla are equally delicious and easy to make. Ajwain gives a nice taste and flavor to the chilla. Also it helps in easy digestion.
- Besan – 1 cup
- Sooji – ¼ cup
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ajwain – 1 tsp
- Water – as required
- Take besan and sooji in a bowl.
- Add water to make a batter. The batter should not be too thick otherwise it will not spread properly on tawa or pan.
- Leave it aside for 10 minutes. During this time sooji will absorb the water.
- After 10 minutes check the consistency of the batter, if it is thick add some more water and mix.
- Now we will add some spices to the batter. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and Ajwain.
- Mix all the ingredients properly.
- Heat a flat pan or tawa. Grease the tawa with some oil and sprinkle some water. Now clean the tawa with a clean cloth just as it is done in restaurants or the street food. This will grease the tawa and will help to spread the batter as thin as you want, more evenly and easily. The oil droplets will break the dosa.
- Spread the batter on tawa to make chilla/dosa. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add some oil.
- Turn the side and cook for 2 mins.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or pickle.