I just love the richness of tangy lemony flavor. The smell of the lemon essence is fabulous and so is the taste of this “Eggless Lemon Cake”, rich and creamy with butter icing, soft and fluffy in texture.
I tried making eggless cake with other recipes but was not as good as this except Eggless Milkmaid Cake. It was a success but still will stick to my basic recipe.
So whenever I bake an Eggless cake I try to follow this recipe with minor changes according to the flavor of the cake. So here is….. the Eggless Lemon Cake recipe.
- Refined flour – 1 cup
- Milk powder – ½ cup
- Powdered sugar – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- White/unsalted butter – 50 + 50 gms
- Lemon essence – ½ tsp
- Icing sugar – 100 gms
- Baking soda – a pinch
- Milk – 1 cup
- Zest of one lemon
- Yellow color – 1/2 tsp
- Pre- heat oven at 250° C for 10 mins.
- In a bowl soften the butter(50 gms). Add powdered sugar and beat till white, glossy and soft.
- Add lemon essence and lemon zest. Lemon zest is the superficial yellow layer of the lemon. Grate the lemon slowly to take only the upper yellow layer. While grating the lemon zest take care not to grate the white skin beneath the yellow skin, as this is bitter in taste and will spoil the taste of the cake.
- In another bowl mix all the dry ingredients and mix properly.
- Add the flour mixture spoon by spoon to the butter mixture. Mix properly.
- The batter will be somewhat thick after all the flour is added.
- Add required quantity of milk and mix.
- Add the yellow color and mix. Now this step is optional if you don’t want to add the color to your cake and want to keep it simple then don’t add. Maybe the color can be added to the icing. This is according to ones choice. The ultimate taste will be the same only appearance will change.
- Pour the batter in a pre grease baking tin.
- Tap the tin to take out any bubble trapped inside.
- Don’t keep the batter for long time.
- Bake at 180° C for 30 to 35 mins.
- Let the cake cool for sometime in the tin itself. If it is removed while hot or warm there are more chances of breaking the cake. It mostly happens when the cake is nicely baked, is too soft and properly raised. So once cool take out the cake on a plate. Cut the cake vertically, for icing, into two parts from the center.
- In a bowl take 50 gms of butter and icing sugar. Beat till soft and light. Add lemon essence if you like or skip this step. Spread the icing evenly on the bottom part the cake. Place the upper part of the cake over it and viola the cake is ready….Enjoy it.