We are use to having all types of Dals in our daily meal. It is prepared by cooking the dals and giving tadka with spices. Dal palak is also prepared in the same way but along with other spices & dal, palak/spinach is added which entirely changes the appearance and taste of the dal.
Dal palak is usually prepared using Arhar/Toor dal. Some also add small quantity of chana/Bengal gram dal along with Arhar/Toor dal. This dish is very easy to cook and taste Delicious. Dal palak can be eaten with roti or rice. I like to have it with Bajre ki roti…believe me it tastes too good.
- Arhar dal – ½ cup
- Chopped palak/spinach- 1 cup
- Peanut – a fistful
- Chopped onion – 1
- Fresh Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Green chilli – 1 or 2
- Chopped tomato – 1 small
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – ¼ tsp
- Wash the dal properly.
- Pressure cook the dal along with peanuts till 2 to 3 whistles. Add salt to taste. Usually salt is never added during cooking the dal as it takes more time to cook. But a good quality dal or one more whistle will cook the dal properly. I am adding salt to the dal to give a salty taste to the peanuts. Because if salt is added afterwards very less salt is absorbed by the peanut.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pan.
- Slit the green chilli and keep all the ingredients ready.
- To the oil add asafoetida/Hing, cumin, green chilli and ginger garlic paste.
- Stir fry for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and cook till golden color.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli and garam masala powder.
- Give a stir. Add chopped tomato and palak/spinach.
- Cook till the tomatoes are soften and the palak/spinach is cooked. Add ¼ tsp of salt and mix.
- Then add the cooked dal and mix properly.
- Add salt to taste and water according to the consistency required.
- Cook on simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.