Dahi ke Kebab is a very unique and tasty recipe for starter or as a snack. This kebab is prepared using hung curd as the main ingredient, which is so soft and delicate that will simply melt in your mouth giving away its sour taste in a different way. So tempting are these words to read… Same way the kebab are yummy to eat.
Dahi ke kebab is my favorite snack. I always wanted to try them at home but thought it would be very hard to make them. With the stuffing so white and tastes full of dahi/curd, i use to think how can dahi be stuffed, even though using it as hung curd, its so delicate to handle. This time i made a mind to make it and here I’m with this tasty recipe for all, specially for those who think it is impossible to make this kebab at home. Do give a try, it is very easy.
Hung curd is easily available in the market. But it is easier to make it at home…Fresh. Place the curd in a muslin cloth. Tie it and hang it till the water from the curd wash away. This process can be done for overnight. By morning we will get nice fresh hung curd. It can be stored in the refrigerator for a week.
- Hung curd – 2 cup(got from 800 gm curd)
- Roasted besan – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Finely chopped green chilli – 1 to 2
- Finely chopped coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Cumin/jeera powder – ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to deep fry
- Bread crumb – 1 cup
- The curd used to prepare should be fresh, as it will be less sour. If the hung curd is too sour then add ½ to 1 tsp sugar if required. The hung curd should have minimum of water. For that it is very important to hang the curd overnight or for minimum 8 hours. Otherwise we will have to add more binding ingredient which will dominate the taste.
- Take the hung curd in a bowl.
- Add roasted besan to the hung curd and mix properly. You can also add ½ cup mashed boiled potato in place of besan. Some also add corn flour.
- Add the other ingredients i.e. green chilli, jeera powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, salt and chopped coriander.
- Mix all the ingredients properly.
- In a kadhai keep the oil for heating.
- Now we have to make the kebab using the prepared mixture. Spread the bread crumb in a plate. As the mixture is semi solid, it is hard to simply make it by hand. So what I did took a cup full of water, dip a spoon in the water and take a spoonful of the mixture and place it in the bread crumb. Nicely sprinkle the bread crumb from above. Gently turn the kebab and coat the bread crumb from all sides. After coating the bread crumb take the kebab in your palm and shape it.
- Make rest of the kebab similarly.
- Deep fry the kebab till golden brown on medium to high flame. We just have to make the outer layer crispy.
- Serve hot with pudina ki chutney or tomato sauce.